So you have decided to make the big move? You have said your goodbyes and now have to prepare for one of the most daunting experiences in your life- Moving overseas. There are some essentials you need to take care of to ensure your journey is comfortable and stress-free.
You have to think about many things like choosing the ideal real estate agent to market your property, choosing a good removalist to move or transport your goods from one place to another and even think about a storage place to keep your valuables or anything extra. Another to think about is relocating expensive valuables like electronics, pianos and even large items like car transport.
Three months before the move:
- Book your tickets and accommodation to avoid the last minute rush.
- If you have kids, give them plenty of notice of the impending move.
- Research about moving companies and ask for quotes so you can compare.
- Create a file with copies of all the important documents and keep it in a secure location.
- Check your passports to ensure they are valid.
- Selling your house? This might be a good time to put it on the market.
- If you renting your house, sort all minor repairs so it’s presentable when you put it on lease again.
Two months before the move:
- Now would be a good time to sell household goods and your car(s).
- Check and update your insurance policies.
- Notify the post-office, banks and other local organisations of your move.
- Cancel any magazine or newspaper subscriptions or regular deliveries.
- Have a garage sale to get rid of items that you no longer need.
- If you have too many items but don’t want to sell them or move them to the new place, another option would be to find a self-storage and keep them there to ensure they are stored safely. There are many options here so best to do your research and check around before many your final decision.
One month before the move:
- Make sure you have paid all outstanding bills and fines.
- Share your new address with friends and family and other important organisations.
- Get all the essential information and paperwork for the moving company.
- Get in touch with various utility companies and ask them to disconnect your gas, water, electricity and other connections.
- Leaving only the essentials, pack up all the other things so you don’t leave anything behind in the rush.
On the day of the move:
- Check all cupboards and drawers one last time before you leave
- Have a bag with all your essentials such as a few changes of clothes, toiletries and important paperwork.
- Contact friends and family and say your final goodbyes.
- Double check with the moving company to ensure the moving business deliver your goods on the decided date.
- Remember to relax and enjoy the experience- you deserve it now that you have done all the hard work!
By following all the above tips and having a handy checklist, there is less room for error and you will definitely enjoy your move rather than worry about things going wrong.