Sadly, a disaster can strike anyone in their home or place of business at any time, and without warning. Fire is one of the most common catastrophic occurrences. Unfortunately, it can happen to anyone and can really wreak havoc on your home or business. Not only can things get burned and destroyed, but you can also be left with the issue of smoke damage, making it difficult to be in the area.
What Can You Do When You Have a Fire?
Fortunately, there is a company that provides exceptional fire damage restoration service. DKI Services offers this necessary service at a number of locations around the United States. The company understands how devastating fire and smoke damage can be to you and your family or you and your employees. A fire can leave behind some terrible damage to the structure of the building and result in soot, debris and odor.
What are the Top 10 Causes of Fires?
Fires are extremely common and rank as one of the top disasters to strike both homes and businesses. It is a terrible event that can be caused by any number of reasons. Here are the top 10 causes of fires in the home or place of business:
- Cooking: Cooking is one of the biggest causes of fires. When there is grease splattering and the kitchen goes unattended, disaster can easily strike. Leaving combustibles near sources of heat is another common problem that can lead to a fire.
- Home Heating:It’s absolutely essential to have your furnace regularly inspected to ensure that it is up to date. Portable heaters should be kept away from combustibles as well.
- Smoking: Smoking is a leading cause of fires. If you smoke indoors, always make sure to extinguish your cigarette or cigar butt completely in an ashtray. Never smoke in bed or while laying down because you can fall asleep and lead to a potentially devastating fire.
- Electrical Fires: Be careful of overloading any outlets or surges and look out for any extension cords that may be frayed or that include exposed wires. These are easy targets for fires starting.
- Candles: If you use candles, always keep a close eye on them and keep them out of reach of any pets or small children.
- Children: Keep your child away from matches, lighters and out of reach of the stove. Teach them to avoid those items.
- Faulty Wiring: Make sure your wiring is up to date. When it is inadequate or old, wiring can be a fire hazard.
- Flammable Items: Keep items that are flammable, such as paint, paint thinner, adhesives and cleaning agents, away from heat sources.
- Holiday Décor: Keep your Christmas tree away from the fireplace and hang your wreaths in safe spots.
- Grills: Avoid using a grill under awning or on your porch. Grilling should be done at a safe distance away from the house.
Unfortunately, fires are inevitable. However, you can tackle the problem if a fire occurs by having a DKI Services fire damage restoration contractor visit your home to assess the damage. The contractor will also come up with a plan for repair and restoration. DKI professionals will arrive later and begin deodorizing, structurally cleaning and repairing and restoring your property.
If you need assistance from DKI Services after experiencing a fire, call 888-502-4795 at your earliest convenience.